- Receive and greet people entering the church
- Seat attendees (though it is common for attendees to seat themselves)
- Collect the tithes and offering
- Keep order in and around in and around the immediate vicinity of the sanctuary
- Clean and prepare the Church
- Take attendance of the congregation or worshipers.
- Distributing and collecting surveys of visitor pamphlets
- Distribute bulletins and service programs
- Prepare the altar for service.
Ushers are required to be punctual and time conscious as they are required to be in the church earlier than the rest of the congregation, who may still be at Sunday school or before or during Sunday school. Since they are part of the service, they need to meet early in order to pray with the clergy. Spiritual l preparation by the ushers ensures an an anointed service.
- Dress Code: Ushers are required to Dress appropriately for ushering. Be professional, but comfortable. They are the "front line personnel/showcase of the church. Warmly welcome guests and regular attendees.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment.
- Escort and direct visitors directions to rest rooms and other facilities as may be needed.
- Assist visitors to their seats. Never leave them looking for a place to sit.
- Ensure conducive temperature in the church (If you are head usher only)
- Assist special needs people feel comfortable in the sanctuary.